Running is an amazing way to stay fit by not only providing a good cardiovascular workout but also a great calorie-burning regime. Black Girls RUN! an organization created in 2009 by Toni Carey and Ashley Hicks to encourage African-American women in their running journey. Their goal is to tackle obesity in the African-American community. On Feb. 3, Black Girls RUN! came to Spelman’s campus. About 70 girls including BGR Atlanta Chapter leader, Adrienne White, ran and walked from the main gate of Spelman College around the AUC campus and back. Whether a beginner or long-timer runner, everyone cheered each other on as they made it through Spelman’s main gate. So if you’re ready to join the movement, here are some simple tips to start your running journey:
- Make a Schedule – Planning what days and times for the week is the first step in committing to a run. Decide if days or evenings work better for you and what time is feasible with your work and home life.
- Map out Your Run – Having a destination from point A to point B gives you something to strive for and when you’ve arrived at your finish line. It intensifies your desire to accomplish your goal.
- Run With Friends – Whether you run with one person or a group, it’s always a good thing to have another source of inspiration.
- Motivate with Music – Put in your head phones and blast some beats that will keep your feet moving and make the time go by faster.
- Journal – Write down your running accomplishments and future goals to keep you on your journey.
For more information about Black Girls RUN! visit http://www.blackgirlsrun.com. – Ashley Preston is the head coach of the Spelman Jaguars volleyball team and the College’s sports information director.